Abstract # 895 Poster # 54:

Scheduled for Thursday, August 18, 2005 07:00 PM-09:00 PM: (Cambridge/Oxford Room) Poster Presentation


Environmental Enrichment By Research Project at the Washington NPRC: An Overview

J. P. Thom and C. M. Crockett
Washington Nat. Primate Res. Ctr., University of Washington, Box 357330, Seattle, WA 98195-7330, USA
line
     Environmental enrichment at the Washington National Primate Research Center (WaNPRC) includes six elements: social contact, perches, toys, food treats, foraging experiences, and extra environmental enrichment. Some research projects have protocols requiring restrictions to some elements of the Environmental Enhancement Plan (EEP). An EEP form, created by the Psychological Well-being Program, monitors EE allowances, limitations, and restrictions for each WaNPRC project. All investigators with open project(s) on 12/31/04 filled out EEP forms. The percentages of 93 EEPs with no restrictions (followed by percentage distribution for restrictions) by EEP element were: Tactile social contact: 24.7% (15.1% grooming-contact or other limited contact; 32.3% contact during certain phases only; 18.3% no tactile contact allowed; 9.7% other restrictions); Perches: 84.9% (12.9% special perch; 2.2% no perch while on tether); Toys: 100%; Food Treats: 69.9% (30.1% provided by investigator); Foraging Experience: 62.4% (16.1% provided by investigator; 11.8% other restrictions; 9.7% no ingestible foraging items); Extra Environmental Enrichment: 80.6% (19.4% some restrictions on extra EE). 76% of the animals were allowed some form of tactile social contact but some projects allowed contact during only part of the study. On 12/31/04, 65.6% of 880 monkeys were allowed tactile contact and 86.7% of these were getting it. The remaining 13.3% were not socially housed due to partner incompatibility, lack of social cages, or no partner availability. EEPs are reviewed annually. Supported by NIH RR00166.